Tom Gresham of Natchitoches, Louisiana is the designated recipient of the CCRKBA Gun Rights Defender of the Month Award for September.
In nominating Gresham for the Award, John Michael Snyder, CCRKBA Public Affairs Director, said that “Tom truly is a unique figure in the pro-gun movement. He is a most accomplished genuine pro-gun media personality. As the host of Tom Greshamâ€™s Gun Talk, a nationally-syndicated live call-in radio program, he is one of the leaders in revolutionizing and modernizing communications of the pro-gun movement. He certainly is most deserving of this Award.”
Born November 11, 1951 in Phoenix, Arizona, Tomâ€™s family moved early on in his life to Louisiana and he spent most of his growing-up years in the state. After attending Northwestern Louisiana State University, Tom moved over to the study of photo journalism at the University of Missouri.
Tom started up the Gun Talk radio program three years ago and, for the last three years, he has been listed as one of the 100 most important radio talk show hosts in America by TALKERS MAGAZINE, a radio industry publication. Since there are about 3,400 radio talk show hosts in the United States, this places Tom way up in the top percentile.
His guests on the program have included Charlton Heston, President of the National Rifle Association, Alan M. Gottlieb, Chairman of CCRKBA, Wayne LaPierre, Executive Vice President of NRA, Tanya K. Metaksa, Executive Director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action, Richard Feldman, Executive Director of the American Shooting Sports Council, and Tommy Noonan, President of Remington Arms.
The program runs from two to five on Sunday afternoons(EST) on a number of radio stations throughout the country and also may be heard world wide live on the internet, at www.guntalk.com or www.talkamerica.com. Talk America also lists time and additional stations.
A certified firearms instructor, licensed private pilot and certified Scuba diver, Tom is:
– Co-host of the Chevy Trucks Shooting Sports America television series on ESPN;
– Arms and Ammo Editor of SPORTS AFIELD magazine. With a circulation of 600,000, this is the oldest sporting magazine in the U.S. Tomâ€™s father is the Shooting Editor;
– Columnist for SHOT Business magazine, writing regular departments on ammunition and optics. SHOT Business is a trade magazine going to 15,000 gun store owners in the United States;
– Contributor to RURAL SPORTSMAN magazine, a new publication with a national circulation of 640,000;
– Co-author of WEATHERBY: THE MAN, THE GUN, THE LEGEND, a best-selling biography of firearms industry pioneer Roy E. Weatherby;
– Author of CLOSE CALLS, published by the NRA, accounts of difficult situations experienced by people while hunting in the great outdoors;
– A consultant on firearms issues; and An award winning photographer and writer.